Berlin New Synagogue

Also known locally as the Neue Synagogue, this synagogue was designed primarily by Eduard Knoblauch and then by Friedrich August Stuler. It was constructed between 1859-1866 as the primary synagogue of the Jewish community of Berlin. Many consider it as one of the important architectures of the nineteenth century in Berlin.

Berlin New Synagogue

Berlin New Synagogue

A major portion of the building was ravaged during the second world war and what remains today is but a reconstruction of the original street frontage along with its entrance, towers and domes plus a few rooms behind them. Those who are familiar with history will recall that the defense forces seized this synagogue and used it for storage purposes.

The richly ornamented front part of the building is made out of terracotta and shaped bricks, that are complemented by glazed colored bricks. Do not miss out on the main dome of the synagogue or the two smaller domes on the side wings of the building. Venture beyond the façade and close your eyes. It was at this spot where the main hall with a seating capacity of 3,000 used to be. At present, the building serves as the Jewish community’s only conservative synagogue. Visitors should also check out the museum that lies within this building. (photo: Andreas Praefcke)

Related articles