The 19th century palace of Hohenschwangau is located in southern Germany, and this was the castle where King Ludwig II of Bavaria had dwelled during his childhood.
It was built by King Maximilian II of Bavaria, as it gets spotted in the village of Schwangau that lies near Füssen. Erected on the remnants of fortress Schwanstein, it had got mentioned for the first time in historical records in the 12th century.
Crown Prince Maximilian had captured the ruins pertaining to the fortress Schwanstein in the year 1832, and the reconstruction pertaining to the castle began in 1833, which continued until 1837, as additions were included up till 1855. Domenico Quaglio was the architect who paved way for the Neo-Gothic style related to the exteriors. After the death of Maximilian in 1864, Ludwig, his son had taken control over his father’s room in the Hohenschwangau Castle. When Ludwig had died in 1866, the only resident of the castle was Queen Marie.
Prince Regent Luitpold of Bavaria who had occupied the third floor pertaining to the main building of the castle was the one who enabled the electrification as well as the electric elevator in the year 1905. The palace got converted to a museum after the death of Lutipold in 1912.
The castle is now a favorite residence related to the successors of Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria who had made use of Hohenschwangau Castle as their summer residence from 1933 to 1939.