Amalienburg

Constructed by by François de Cuvilliés between the year 1734 and 1739, the Amalienburg is a tiny hunting lodge, constructed for the Roman emperor Charles II in Nymphenburg Palace Park, Munich.

This also is a tourist delight and according to authorities, this lodge provides one of the finest examples of the German Rococo.

Munich Amalienburg

Munich Amalienburg

Few people are aware about the architectural importance of this building and also that of the architect who helped making the Rococo style extremely important by publishing books on various subjects like wall paneling, interior decoration, wrought iron work, furniture, and ceilings.

Joachim Dietrich and Johann Baptist Zimmermann designed the center of the building, which hosts the Hall of Mirrors. The blue and silver colors used inside create an ethereal atmosphere.

Apart from the above, there are several other rooms including the bedroom of the Electress (Blue cabinet). Of special mention is the kennel room that was built to accommodate the hunting dogs.

Munich Amalienburg, Hall of Mirrors

Munich Amalienburg, Hall of Mirrors

Tourists should also visit the kitchen and view its walls that are decorated with precious Delft tiles (Delft  is a city located in southern Holland). The Castrol alcove, a masonry construction consisting of several fire holes that are covered with perforated iron plates is also known as a stew stove. (photos:Massimop, Fvz)

Related articles